Saturday, June 27, 2009

The hazards of smoking

I keep thinking about smoker when my lecturer of physiology subject showed to us a slide about cigarette. Before going to KISAS, I was in ‘SMK’. So, there are quite a lot of disciplinary cases compared to my boarding school. All the boys in my class on that time admitted that they experienced smoking. Some of them smoke regularly. How could anyone take a fool action by damaging their beautiful lungs? I do not know.

I have to say that I am glad that my father, brothers and men around me are not a smoker. From the slide show, smoking is really hazardous to health. In a single of cigarette, there are many harmful chemicals being inserted. Some of them are tobacco, nicotine (to kill cokcroaches), carbon monoxide (poisonous gas), formaldehyde (to preserve dead specimens), ammonia (household cleaner), arsenic ( rat poison), cadmium (used in batteries), methophrene (insecticide) and many more.

A regular smoker is always coughing. I observe this is the obvious sign of a smoker.
The old man that are addicted to cigarette, often hacking away every now and then. They take medicine to encounter the cough but it is useless. The only solution for them is to quit smoking.
This is easy to say ‘stop smoking’! but I can see that almost of the smoker is impossible to do so. They love smoking too .much. I really do not know why.

It is no secret or mystery. Cigarette smoking is bad for us. Cigarette smoking leads to low birth weight babies, lung cancer, emphysema, mouth cancer, and other serious diseases that nobody likes to think about. It stains the teeth and stinks up the clothes, and yet brings to death! So few of smokers quit the habit. Why?

Smoke can damage our respiratory system. As an example the damage begins when tobacco smoke temporarily paralyzes the microscopic hairs (cilia) that line our bronchial tubes. Normally, these hairs sweep irritants and germs out of your airways. But when smoke interferes with this sweeping movement, irritants remain in our bronchial tubes and infiltrate the alveoli, inflaming the tissue and eventually breaking down elastic fibers. This can bring to emphysema. Emphysema causes a loss of elasticity in the walls of the small air sacs in your lungs. Eventually, the walls stretch and break, creating larger, less efficient air sacs that are not able to handle the normal exchange of oxygen and carbon dioxide.

My lecturer also showed us the picture of a baby from a smoker mother. Pity on the baby. I felt afraid to see the baby and until now I cannot forget the picture. When I think back about my former classmates that are smokers, actually they do not have enough stamina compared to non smoker. They tire quickly. Hmm..they thinked that they were smart enough in order not being catched by teachers. But teachers are not fool. Yellow teeth, smelly clothes, black lips are sure signs of a smoker. Teacher always saying that do not smoking to all the students in my class. Haha.. hoping that they are smart enough to realize. I hope so..

I heard a story that a medical student also a smoker. I laugh because I cannot believe on it. is it true? Some of the girls say so to me. They said that they saw some of the boys. Ridiculous! Haha..Whatever! I will not believe for something that has no proof in front of me. But, as an advice..if it is true..please quit smoking as we (girls) really hate and have no respect for those teenagers that are smoking! Especially a future doctor. Good luck! Hehe..

No comments:

Post a Comment